Sunday, January 6, 2008

Rakeback!

I got back from Vegas anticipating a very big rakeback bonus in my account.

Not dissapointed: $180.80 in rakeback for the month. I was initially shocked by this number, but upon reflection it makes more sense. I had a pretty tough month, I was playing exclusively at the .10-.20 level, and it felt like every time I was going to break through and continue upwards, things would go awry. This lead to a holding pattern for a good part of the month. I started at $400.00, and ended at $720.00 before rakeback. Overall it was an upward trend, but I had a very gradual upward swing. This is what the month looked like:










As you can see, there is a very long stretch where I was in a holding pattern. A byproduct of this holding pattern is me giving lots and lots of money to the rake. Every upward swing meant dumping money to the rake, and every downward swing meant I had to do it over again. I guess this is quite profound when you are 4-tabling 6-handed tables.

So overall, I get a big fat rakeback check to get me going in the new year. Yay.

2 comments:

royalbacon said...

That's craziness. How does the rakeback work?

Marshall said...

It's pretty simple. The online sites have deals with 3rd party vendors to get more people to play on their sites. If you sign up through one of these vendors, your incentive is that you will get a percentage of the rake taken from you credited back to you.

The major appeal of Cake is that there is a huge rakeback available. 33% to be exact, where normal rakebacks are 10% or less for the big sites. Upstart sites like Cake will offer more though, up to 36% that I have seen.

When you sign up through one of the rakeback sites, they keep track of how much rake you have paid for each month, and automatically credit your account with the percentage that you get back. Easy.