Monday, January 14, 2008

First session at .25-.50

Making the transition to the next level up is a bitch. You are happy to finally be there, but not comfortable enough with the stakes to play on autopilot. Also, if you happen to drop a few buy ins in your first session or two, back down you go to the previous level to rebuild. Additionally, I am trying to be very aware of the table, the players, and the play in general, as it tends to change substantially from level to level. All of this adds up to some stress and excitement. I had some of both on my first real foray into .25-.50 on Cake.

On my first confrontation this happened. Lame. I am always happy to call short stacks with AK preflop. Turn gave me a ray of hope, but it wasn't to be.

On my first major confrontation, I did this. This was sort of retarded of me to do, as I had no real reason to even be in the pot in the first place. First off, sandercott was pretty tight and seemed solid enough. I was folding hands way better than this to him during the session. I SUCK was horrible, he bluffed his stack twice and showed on super scary boards, then bluffed off his stack and reloaded. Total fish idiot. Anyway I take a flop and of course flop my flush draw. Amazingly, sandercott WAY underbets the flop with his set, and after I flat call, I SUCK just calls too. Dreamy. The turn is pretty harmless, but now sandercott fires 6.00 into the pot. I decide to make a stand and raise it to 30.00 straight. I figure unless sandercott has a hand, he can't call. Of course I SUCK check raises all in with his 2nd pair and flush draw. Sandercott puts the rest in with his set, and I am going along for the ride, just praying for a heart. No such luck, and I have officially biffed off my first full buy in at the next level! :/

I was at 2x .25-.50 tables and 2x .10-.20 tables when I started out the session. (I ended at 3x .50 and 1x .20). This was my biggest hand from the smaller stakes. Of course I catch my miracle one outer against a short stack at the lower level... Oh well, good story for the grandchildren ahah.

I had my biggest hand to date here. I raise preflop to the standard size, get one caller behind me and then a minraise from the table donk. I am not going to try to get too pushy with AQo preflop as he will pay off for sure if I hit so I just call as does the other guy. I flop top pair 2nd kicker and the 2nd nut flush draw. I lead hard into the pot, and get a flat call from the guy behind me. Turn is a brick, and I apply maximum pressure on the guy by shipping. He insta-calls with top 2 pair, and I get one of my 12 outs.

So after all, I made around 10 bucks on the session. The connection was ass, so I decided to call it good there. Sat with Ryan for a short session at .05-.10, and also played some more PLO8, but this time tried the 10-handed tables instead of the 6. So far I am preferring the 10.

More on Wednesday I am sure.

No comments: