Friday, January 11, 2008

Mixing it up, and some hand review.

Played some more PLO8 and took a few mini shots at the next level up over the last few days..

The play at the .25-.50 tables I have been at (2 total) as been pretty consistent with the play at .10-.20. One exception is the the players seem a little more aggressive, they bet more. They also seem to be a bit more "refined", where they will bet 3/4 pot instead of just hitting the pot button etc. I did feel comfortable though, even given the stakes in relation to my roll.

PLO8 has been quite an adventure. I am playing the 6 handed tables, but I think I am going to switch to full ring. In 6 handed NLHE, I know what hand strengths are what, and how to adjust pretty well. But in PLO8 I am essentially nut peddling when I have to be pushing smaller edges; something I am not good at yet. So I think I will switch over to full ring next time and continue my learning process. I will say its really nice to get in more hands when you are learning though.

Speaking of hands:

In this PLO8 hand I flop the straight flush wheel. This is cool.

This hand happened during one of my "shots" at .25-.50. Villain had the Ac8c and hit the nut flush on the river. I am glad I played this as aggressively as I did, because I don't think he had me on a set based on my action. I check raised the flop on him, and then led for ~80% of the pot on the turn. I think he though I had a big Q or something.. Anyway, being aggressive made sure I doubled up when the gin card hit, and I also charged him quite a bit to see the river in case it didn't.

I decided to get cute on this pretty harmless flop. I thought the J was a great card for me, but it wasn't and I paid off the short stack as quick as I could.

This sorta sucked against a short stack. I guess I am glad it wasn't a bigger stack..

This dude played his KK very strangely. But what about how I played my hand? Did I need to fire the second shell? And if I did, did it need to be so big? I thought at the time that I had 2 live overs probably and of course the nut flush draw. Thoughts on this one would be appreciated.

I had KQ on this one. At the time it felt like a bigger laydown than it looks here..

This one just sort of developed. I was calling ballinn's bet no matter what. He was tilting really hard and just spewing chips. Then a half stack behind just calls. Hmmm. This makes my decision that much harder, as he has to have a hand he likes quite a bit in order to call. But here is the catch, yes, I did bring it in for a normal raise, but that doesn't mean I am calling 7.00. Volare knows this, and he also knows that ballinn is spewing. I think he just figured that he was good against ballin, and that I would go away. When I shoved, he only had ~3.00 more to call off, but he probably wasn't happy about it. It's not often that two opponents essentially have only 5 outs against you preflop.

On this hand I sorta chickened out on the river, and just checked. Villain had KQ0. :/

I finesse the living shit out of this guy. (did that sound gay?) I bring it in for a pot raise preflop. He minraises me. Even though it gives up a lot about the strength of my hand, I 4 bet. I keep it pretty small though, I am not trying to scare him out of the pot, I am just trying to commit him. I feel pretty comfortable on the flop, and frankly, I am not folding in any case. He checks to me, and I figure I had better let him hang himself, as he can't really call anything if he has whiffed the flop. He checks again on the turn, and I am not waiting any longer. I jam the flop and he puts in the last of it.

I think I should have value bet the river here, even though I forget what he had. I think I was going to just check-call.

This fucking hand sucks. And it's what I am talking about when I bitch about bad timing for my beats. I maintain that I take a very normal amount of beats(which of course feels like WAY too many), but they have been happening at terrible times. Like this one. I RR preflop with my AQ. I get flat called and flop a Q. I lead hard at the flop, and I really felt he was just trying to take the pot away as I had seem him make these big moves at pots earlier at the session. I make the call but he hits his gutshot, bummer.

1 comment:

Ryan said...

lol, a $.90 pot on a flopped sf wheel at PLO8. That's a seriously bad beat.

Your AJs vs. KK: oddly played by the villain for sure, make a note of it. Especially confusing is the river check behind...if it were a geniune slowplay, I'd expect a bet on that board. I like how you played it, although I'm not sure about the size of the turn bet...as in, I'm too lazy to figure out how large it was realtive to the pot. Second shells get the job done on the turn a lot, and you had lots of outs to beat him. I would have made it about 3/4 pot.

Your folded KQ: That's a tougher laydown at microstakes than it is at WNP, but against two opponents, you have to be able to get away in the face of that kind of action, well done.