Friday, January 25, 2008

Decisions Not Results I Guess?

Ok wtf. Last night was sick. Just a sick, brutal run of cards, luck, and bad/tilty play. I am fucking pissed off still from it. Unreal night at the tables. Here are some highlights:

Let's just start here. I have a donk ready to go to my left, omgapair. His name is apt, as he has shown that he will go bust with very weak holdings. Only he hasn't. So I try to trap him a bit by not 4-betting, and hoping he gets top pair or at least a pair on the flop. Not the best flop for AA, but good enough to go to the mat with, which was my intent from the beginning unless the board got REALLY nasty. Outflopped. Bummer, but it happens.

On this hand, I raise preflop with QQ, big stack makes it 10 straight, I know he likes his hand now. I decide to 4 bet to 3x his bet, and we get it in pre. Jack on the flop and that's all she wrote. Sigh.

I am mid-stacked on this one, sitting at 31.00. I pick up KK, raise preflop, get re-raised, etc. until we are all in. Q on the flop, and again, that's all she wrote. Fuck. Again? Really?

I have built my stack up a bit on this one, sitting at 71.00. I pick up KJ in the SB and call the min-raise to see the flop. I flop a gutshot, and am done with the hand unless it's really cheap. A min bet counts as really cheap. I peel my gutter to the nuts, and we get it all in on the turn. I thought I was up against another KJ the way he played it. So to the river we go, and boom, boat. WTF. I know that this isn't like an amazingly terrible beat, the guy had outs but c'mon,(I was 77% to win) AGAIN? And in one night?!

Here I am sitting at a half stack, and I flop the nuts. I made a semi loose call of a standard pre-flop raise from a decent but not good player. There were two other callers ahead of me and I closed out the action. I thought if I hit on him he was likely to go broke with a second best hand, especially since I don't have a full stack. Well I try to get the stabber to come along for one more stab on the turn, but he just minbets, and I am not waiting around anymore, so I jam. I get instacalled by 2 pair and he boats the river. This is getting to be phenomenally horrific.

This was a disaster. Willbilly was a fucking retard. Complete uber donk just ready to give it away. He raises pre, and a mid shorty goes all in for 16.00. Now it's on me, and I flat call. Wildbilly was a station, but I don't think he's going all in pre-flop with that hand. The flop is not pretty but could be worse. I bet half of his stack on the flop, and we get the rest in on the turn when the board pairs. I don't have him on a Jack, I think he would have just shipped the flop had he had one, so it's a really good card for me, protecting me from lower 2 pairs. He has an open ender and a pair, and trips up on the river. I was still a big favorite against both players though, I was surprised a bit at how big. Another huge pot goes the wrong direction tonight. I think my ears have turned red at this point and I have punched the couch pillow 14 times or so.

This one is nothing monumental, it's me versus a short stack, and I have QQ vs his AK. Just to make sure that I know I am not winning any hands on this night, the poker gods send a clear message by not just pairing him up, but making it a boat.

This all happened on one night, and of course at the higher level. I haven't updated my spreadsheet yet.. I am not looking forward to it. I had scrapped my roll up to $1,200, but now it has to be below $1,000.00 again. I am not sure how bad it is, I just slammed my laptop and played halo with Jeh and Fred. Rough estimate would be $900-1000 range. I might drop back down to .10-.20 to reset and get back up to where I want to be.

Humbling night in any case.. (btw I sucked ass at Halo last night too)(and I had to stay late at work and missed a +1 tournament I had pre-registered for)(and I called the Apple store to make sure they had an adapter I want, drove down there from Everett, and they didn't have it). But overall, life is good, and I know I will battle back from this debacle. I am just bummed to see such a chunk of my roll gone to beats in one horrible session I guess..

7 comments:

Ryan said...

Wow...truly sick, man. That's a helluva rough session, with 100% good decisions on the posted hands, and zero wins.

Marshall said...

ya I of course made some poor decisions at other times during the session, but also made some big hands to help offset the otherwise utter disaster. I called a pot bet (~7.00) in the flop (bet was from willbilly) with 34 in hand and a Q 9 3 board just hoping to get lucky. I spiked a 4 on the turn and got it in with 2 other people poorly, and they both had the higher 2 pairs leaving me drawing dead..

I also overcalled a 38.00 all in and call with 44 against a maniac and a passive donk which held up for a nice pot (villians had A8 and AJ).

You think I should go back down for a bit?

Ryan said...

The problem with going back down is the whole thing where a full buy is only 2% of your roll, which may be harder for you to take as seriously as 5% at .25/.50.

A stunning run of beats has sent you down a couple hundred instead of up, but you can clearly handle .25/.50, so do whatever feels right. If dropping down will help you get past a rough session and move back up again, great. If you won't play your A game down a level because the stakes don't put the right amount of fear into you, stay up.

You can beat the hell out of either.

Marshall said...

game plan: play some 6 man turbo SNG's to help get my groove while also minimizing my exposure I think I am still sorta tilted, meaning it probably wouldn't take too much to get me off my A game. I have already played a few, and some progress has been made.

Thanks Ry.

royalbacon said...

That's fucked. How long would you say your session was? I've never seen so many pockets v. pockets like that go south in one session.

Agree with Ryan on the 100% good decisions. Just a run of horrible luck.

Marshall said...

The session was around 2-3 hours.

Sushi Cowboy said...

Rigged...clearly.