Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Adjustments

For last night's session I was determined to adjust my strategy based on the new information I garnered from my previous sessions. I felt like I had a newfound outlook on the way the players at these stakes are playing and that I would be able to adjust accordingly.

First order of business was to tighten up a bit. While running over the table was a good thing, it also meant that I wasn't getting the implied odds that I thought I was getting preflop on every hand. My normal take on it was that these guys were ready to stack off with most hands, I would just have to do the betting for them. This isn't the case however as these guys want to just sit back and wait for the nuts apparently. This means that I need to just show them better hands more often but keep the stabbing up when I do enter a pot.

Secondly, I need to value bet. I am still borderline offended that I have to play anything resembling actual poker here, but whatever I will oblige. I figured that I could circumvent value betting by just hammering and letting these stations call off, but since they are folding, I have to try to extract value. This is fine, as they are horrible at doing it themselves and I have a big edge here I think.

So after making these adjustments I had a better session. I ran pretty poorly again (below EV again) but still pulled a reasonable profit out of the session and felt quite a bit better about my play. I felt like I was just slamming into a brick wall. Now I am crushing it.

Also, getting a bunch of hands in where I don't really go up or down is not the worst scenario as rakeback will turn break even sessions into +EV sessions.

2 comments:

Adam said...

Marsh - Does your graph represent up/down dollars or percentages?

Marshall said...

Graph is not currently operational..

What a pain in the ass. I will figure it out though.